Monday, January 11, 2016

My non pasta, pasta review!

I love me some pasta. Angel hair, lasagna noodles, spiral or macaroni. I never met a pasta I didn't like! I used to eat the Dreamfields Pasta. Because they said it's better for you. I don't know who "they" are really. But it must be true right? Low glycemic index. Pretty much like eating Kale I suppose? I preferred to stay in denial. Because denial is nice, cozy and warm and filled with things like pasta. And other things that say "no trans fats" and "low in sugar". It makes you feel like you are doing something right, even though you really aren't!!

 But finally I got sick of feeling tired all of the time, so I started eating "clean." What the heck is that? It's basically just wholesome, natural unprocessed foods. I still eat red meat and chocolate. But just in moderation. And I try to stay away from pasta, even Dreamfield low glycemic index pasta! Also, don't be fooled by "hidden veggie" pasta. If you really read the ingredients, it's mostly made from corn. And you have to eat two servings to get that full serving of veggies that they talk about. And really there are a ton of healthier alternatives.  I have officially tried them all! So here is my review of them. While none of them taste like REAL pasta, they are all pretty good. Now I save my real pasta for when I am at a true Italian restaurant with homemade pasta. Then it's balls to the wall, cheat meal time! But for every day stuff, here is what I stick to.

1. Whole wheat pasta: This is probably my favorite. It's firmer than white pasta, but it's basically a vehicle for whatever yumminess you put on top of it! Sweet! Sounds good to me! They have whole wheat lasanga, angel hair, anything you can get that is white pasta, you can surely find whole wheat.

2. Spaghetti squash:I really do like this, since I figured out how to prepare it correctly! Put some marinara and parmeasean shavings, YUM! Turkey Meatsauce or Meatballs! Even better! A little ricotta or some parm cheese! To die for! Here is how I learned to make this and have it actually taste good! https://youtu.be/inlaY-3qfOs

3.  Shiritake: This is made from root veggies, and you will probably find them in your produce section. You need to rinse in hot water for a good minute or two, they have an earthy smell. I love these. They are especially great as a sub for rice noodles, they seem to have that kind of vibe. But I also love them in Italian dishes!

4. Zoodles: These are made from zucchini and shaved into a spiral noodle shape with a zoodle maker! What else?! I got mine off amazon. It's super easy to make them. You can eat raw. Or sautee, the only downside is you can't cook too long or they release a lot of water and they get soggy. But they are good. Especially with shrimp and in a shrimp scampi type meal!


5. Edamame pasta: This was surprisingly good! Not much flavor, but again, vehicle for yumminess! Just like regular pasta really! But a bit firmer, and a bit dry. Nothing a little EVOO can't fix!


What is your favorite pasta substitute? Are they are others out there worth trying?


No comments:

Post a Comment