Friday, November 4, 2016

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup!



I love creamy soups in the fall! But sometimes creamy soups = heavy cream. And while I love heavy cream as much as the next gal, I don't want to eat a bowl of it! I prefer a dollop of it on fresh fruit or the occasional treat! But it basically cancels out the healthiness of the squash! And that's no bueno!

So you gotta try this recipe, because it's super creamy but without the cream/guilt!

  • 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds), halved vertically and seeded
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • ½ cup chopped shallot (about 1 large shallot bulb)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Up to 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable broth
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons butter, to taste (substitute olive oil for dairy free/vegan soup)
  • 1 tablespoon of goat cheese (optional)
I put one butternut squash completely whole, in my crock pot on high for 3 hours, or low for 6. You can bake in instead, but this is my preferred method! I get it out and let it cool so I can cut it open. Then I cut it lengthwise and scoop out seeds and discard that part. Then I put the pulp into a high speed blender. I have a vitamix, but any kind will due! Then I saute up the chopped shallot and garlic, being careful not to burn it! Once they are soft, I transfer that into the blender along with the maple syrup, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Then I add 3 cups of the vegetable broth, reserving one. Then just a touch of EVOO or a pat of butter for a little extra flavor/goodness. Blend until smooth. If I feel like I want it a bit thinner, I add a touch more of broth. I dish it up, and top with a bit more pepper. And if I am entertaining or really wanna impress my husband I add a dollop of goat cheese! He likes crumbled bacon on his, but I prefer just as is! 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment