Tuesday, August 4, 2015

White Chili


I stole this recipe from my brother years ago. And believe it or not, I have adapted it to make it EASIER! Now, I know any recipe when you dirty more than two pans is kind of a pain in the rear. But this one is worth it! I promise!

- 1.5 lbs of ground turkey (or chicken)
- 2 containers of mushrooms, I like the fancy shitake ones, but you can get any kind you fancy
- two cans of white canellini
- two little cans of mild green chiles
- one big yellow onion
- half a bulb of garlic (or more)
- 2 fresh serrano chiles
-  16 oz. (half a big box) of chicken or turkey stock...  I like kitchen 
basics...  just check and make sure the sodium content is low.
- a big glass (8-12 oz) of water
- olive oil
- monteray jack cheese
- a big bunch or two of cilantro
-plain greek yogurt
Spices: 2 tablespoons of cumin, sounds like a lot, but it’s a lot of meat! ½ tablespoon of ground coriander, 1-2 teaspoons of oregano, and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic (if you love garlic like I do)


I get both my dutch oven and another pan good and hot...  medium high heat...  
I put some olive oil in both...  break up the turkey into one...  put the 
mushrooms (cut into thirds) in the other...  turn down the one with the 
mushrooms a bit....  drizzle a little more olive oil over both...  salt and 
pepper both as I'm cooking I let the mushrooms cook down.
Once both are cooked, I turn the heat on the turkey down and dump the mushrooms in the dutch oven with the meat. Then I add in the turkey stock and get the empty pan hot again, add a little 
olive oil and saute the onion for a couple minutes.   Then add the garlic and chopped up serano peppers and saute a couple more minutes. Then I add the water to pan to get the delicious stuff off the bottom and then dump the whole thing into the pot.  Then I rinse the beans and add them, add the chopped green chilis,  add the oregano, cumin, minced garlic and ground coriander,  cover it and let is simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally. Then I serve it up, stir in a handful of chopped cilantro, and sprinkle a little 
monteray jack cheese and a dollop of plain greek yogurt, and sometimes some sliced avocado.  It's awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment