Friday, April 24, 2015

Pepper Nachos


I am all about making one meal for my whole family these days. Back in the day, I would make grilled cheese for one child, quesadillas for another. And adult food for Paul and I. While not all my kids would eat this meal, they all ate a variation of this, which is a huge time saver for me! My boys ate all of the toppings just wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. My baby girl, well, she throws all of her food on the floor for the dogs, regardless of what it is. She doesn't discriminate. So it really doesn't matter what I give her! Gotta love 16 month olds!

So this is something that I actually would make for company. Meaning, if I wasn't even set on eating something clean...I would still totally make and eat this, it's that good!

Ingredients:
mini sweet peppers (Costco has a huge bag for cheap!) sliced in half, seeds and white part scooped out.
1 lb Ground turkey (or you can do chicken, lean ground beef, or shredded rotisserie chicken)
2 garlic cloves
Green onions
Spices (I am not a measure-er, I threw in a few palmfuls of chili powder,a pinch of himilayan salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Basically season it to please you and your family!)
Black beans
Black olives
Shredded Monterey Jack and Colby Cheese (I like to shred it myself, tastes so much better and so worth the extra couple of minutes of prep).
Pico de gallo (I just throw a carton of cherry tomatoes, a bunch of cilantro, one jalepeno, juice of one lime, half of a yellow onion, 2 garlic cloves, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a food processor. My secret, not so secret ingredient, is a few spoonfuls of tomato paste, because tomatoes just aren't that great and flavorful around here, and this takes the flavor up a notch). You can also buy salsa, just make sure there isn't too much salt or sugar!
Greek yogurt
Cilantro and more green onions to top it off.

I just sautee some green onions (the white part, chopped) and garlic in a skillet with a dash of olive oil. After a few minutes I add the meat in. Once it's done cooking, I add in 2 yellow containers of black beans (or for those non 21 day fixers, about half of a small can. Then I add my spice mixture above. After it's simmered a few more minutes I take it off heat and add in my olives (this is personal preferance, but I just do 2 orange containers). I lay out my peppers on a baking sheet, scoop on the meat mixture, top it with 4 blue containers of the cheese (or about 6 oz) and I pop it in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. After it comes out, I plate it and add half of a red of greek yogurt and half of a purple of salsa. And I top it with some cilantro and the green parts of the green onions.

Serves 4. I always make extra meat mixture, and then the next night have tacos or mexican pizza. So dinner for 2 nights... done!

21 day fix breakdown: 1 1/2 red, 1/2 yellow, 1 green, 1/2 purple, 1 blue, 1/2 orange.  


No comments:

Post a Comment